Homeownership is something that most Americans say they aspire to one day. But how do you know if you're ready? In this episode, we look at the pros and cons of renting versus owning.
Here's what to remember:
- Owning a home is the No. 1 way most Americans build wealth.
- Buying a house, however, is not an automatic ticket to the good life, and may not make you happier.
- Renting gives you flexibility.
- But that flexibility comes with a cost: Rents will always go up.
- You don't need a big down payment to own a home.
- Owning a home can give you a sense of security — and that can be priceless.
Life Kit is excited to bring you more episodes but we're making some changes to how we organize things. Starting in the new year, this three-part guide will disappear, but all of the episodes will still be available — they are just moving to our main Life Kit feed. Search your podcast app for...
Based on your feedback, we've created new ways to listen to Life Kit. If you never want to miss an episode, subscribe to Life Kit: All Guides. We also divided our guides by subject — health, money and parenting - and more to come in the future — so you can subscribe to only the topics you want to...
It's hard to imagine a more boring (and dreaded) word than "mortgage." But if you know where to look, you might find a mortgage that will save you thousands of dollars a year or discover that you qualify for a loan when you didn't think you could — and that's exciting! You might even find free...