David Grae is a Writer and Executive Producer of Television. He's written for Joan of Arcadia, Without a Trace, Gilmore Girls, Castle, and Madam Secretary. At the latter, he moved up to Executive Producer of the 6 season show. He was second in command to Creator and Show runner, Barbara Hall. He started off writing spec scripts and directing his Off-Off-Off Broadway play 'Moose Mating' in NYC, before directing the play in LA. He invested $25k of his own money to put up the production, an investment that paid off.
In this episode, we talk about:
• Meeting his Best Friend and Mentor in the business, Barbara Hall
• Investing $25k of his own money of his play 'Moose Mating' in LA
• Advice for writers on how to approach meetings for Television
• #1 thing he wants from writers in his writer's room
• Working on the final season of Gilmore Girls without Amy Sherman Palladino
• Why he really came into his own as a writer on Castle
• What are his greatest strengths as EP
• How was it casting Madam Secretary where there are such diverse languages and ethnicities represented
• How do you move up in the writers room (contribute more, leader in the room)
• What does he think of casting Actors with little to no credits
• How aware did he have to be of ratings on a Network show
• How much preparation goes into a meeting for an already established show
Great Interview with David Grae: https://www.writingclasses.com/toolbox/author-q-a/david-grae
Instagram: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneMiller
Twitter: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneM
Mentors on the Mic Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mentorsonthemic
Andrew Calof is the President of Production and Development of Wayfarer Studios, an independent financial and production engine pioneering purpose driven, multi-platform film and television productions that elevate and speak to the human spirit. Prior to joining Wayfarer Studios, Calof served as...
ROB BURNETT is the writer/director of the feature film The Fundamentals of Caring, which was the closing night film at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. He is as a five-time Emmy Award-winning executive producer and head writer of The Late Show with David Letterman. In the course of his career he...
Marta Kauffman is an Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning television writer, producer, and showrunner behind the hit series Friends and Grace & Frankie. After graduating from Brandeis University, Kauffman got her big break alongside David Crane when their pilots Dream On (1990) and The Powers That...