Becoming... Casting Director for Chicago Fire, Med, and PD Jenny Ravitz
Jenny Ravitz is a NYC-based casting director at Jonathan Strauss Casting. She is currently casting shows including NBC's hit shows Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Chicago Med. She has years of knowledge of the casting industry after working at some of the top casting offices in New York City. Jenny is here to share her journey and provide an inside look at what it is like to help create a Chicago universe that reaches over 8 million home viewers per episode.
In this episode, we talk about:
• Finding her passion as a Casting Director through working as an Assistant Director
• Working 80 hours a week while interning at Telsey + Company and Cindy Tolan casting offices and bartending at a local sports bar
• The movie that connected Jenny and Michelle for the first time
• The important role of identity, visibility, and authentic representation in casting
• An inside look at how Jenny reviews auditions, makes selects, and presents an offer
• How agent pitches can help or hurt an actor (and if she reads all of them!)
• The benefit of self tapes over actor reels
• Whether she likes slate shots
• The national reach of the shows she casts
Instagram: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneMiller
Twitter: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneM
Mentors on the Mic Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mentorsonthemic
Andrew Calof is the President of Production and Development of Wayfarer Studios, an independent financial and production engine pioneering purpose driven, multi-platform film and television productions that elevate and speak to the human spirit. Prior to joining Wayfarer Studios, Calof served as...
ROB BURNETT is the writer/director of the feature film The Fundamentals of Caring, which was the closing night film at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. He is as a five-time Emmy Award-winning executive producer and head writer of The Late Show with David Letterman. In the course of his career he...
Marta Kauffman is an Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning television writer, producer, and showrunner behind the hit series Friends and Grace & Frankie. After graduating from Brandeis University, Kauffman got her big break alongside David Crane when their pilots Dream On (1990) and The Powers That...