Jeff Booth has been at the forefront of technological change for over 20 years. He founded a company called BuildDirect based in Vancouver, an e-commerce platform that was on its way to being a unicorn before he dramatically and suddenly left because, as he says it, his integrity was not for sale. When I first heard this story, I could relate to the emotional toll this must have taken on him, having been through something very similar, albeit on a far smaller scale. But I was also struck by how quickly Jeff bounced back, and the impact that he has had since then, be it with companies he’s founded, invested in or advised. Jeff and I talk about the arc of his career, his book "The Price of Tomorrow," as well as crypto and blockchain. Then we drop from macro-topics into micro-topics of how he chooses to spend his time amidst the many new opportunities that he sees in the world today.
What We Cover:
- The roots and disastrous consequences of inflationary monetary system
- The “war” between the current monetary system and what exponential technology is bringing
- Why digital currency like Bitcoin has the potential to mitigate the climate change and to contribute to a different economic system
Key Learnings and Takeaways:
- There is no way to solve inequality through an inflationary monetary system. An inflationary monetary system equals inequality.
- In a world that is changing really fast, the advantage goes to people that are open to learning faster.
- We need to have an incentive system based on truth, that can’t be changed by rulers, a system that incentivises cooperation. Digital currencies can play a significant role in creating such systems.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- “The Price of Tomorrow” by Jeff Booth https://www.amazon.com/Price-Tomorrow-Deflation-Abundant-Future/dp/1999257405/
- Jeff Booth’s Website https://www.jeffreybooth.com/
- Connect with Jeff Booth on Twitter https://twitter.com/JeffBooth
- Terramera https://www.terramera.com/
- Cubic Farms https://cubicfarms.com/
- Addy https://www.addyinvest.com/
- NocNoc https://nocnoc.com/
- “Swag: Alternative Investments for the Coming Decate” by Joe Roseman https://www.amazon.com/Swag-Alternative-Investments-Coming-Decade/dp/1781485186/
- Eric Jorgenson: Leverage, Permissionlessness and Naval’s Book of Wisdom on OutsideVoices https://outsidelens.com/eric-jorgenson/
Connect with Mark Bidwell:
- LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/markbidwell/
- Twitter https://twitter.com/markehb
John Elkington is an advisor on sustainable development and corporate responsibility, an area he’s been working in for almost 40 years. He is the author of 20 books on this topic, and he has given a remarkable contribution to shifting capitalism and business towards a more balanced and...
My guest today, Jack Weatherford, is an anthropologist and author of several books, including one on money, a number on indigenous cultures in North America and beyond, and a revisionist and very thought provoking history of Genghis Khan, called “Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World.”...