The Indian economy has been going downhill for a decade now. How has Covid-19 affected it? Ila Patnaik joins Amit Varma in episode 227 of The Seen and the Unseen to take stock of where we are today, and where we go from here.
Also check out:
1. Ila Patnaik at NIPFP, The Print, YouTube, Indian Express & Business Standard.
2. Asia Confronts the Impossible Trinity -- Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah.
3. The Economics and Politics of Vaccines -- Episode 223 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ajay Shah).
4. The Tragedy of Our Farm Bills -- Episode 211 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ajay Shah).
5. The Art and Science of Economic Policy -- Episode 154 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Vijay Kelkar & Ajay Shah).
6. In Service of the Republic -- Vijay Kelkar and Ajay Shah.
7. India’s Lost Decade -- Episode 116 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Puja Mehra).
8. The Lost Decade -- Puja Mehra.
9. What a Long Strange Trip It’s Been -- Episode 188 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Arvind Subramanian).
10. The Fight of the Central Banker -- Episode 193 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Viral Acharya).
11. Pandemonium in India’s Banks -- Episode 212 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Tamal Bandyopadhyay.)
12. Demystifying GDP -- Episode 130 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Rajeswari Sengupta).
13. The Indian Economy in 2019 -- Episode 153 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Vivek Kaul).
14. Two Economic Crises (2008 & 2019) -- Episode 135 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Mohit Satyanand).
15. Twelve Dream Reforms -- Episode 138 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Shruti Rajagopalan, Rajeswari Sengupta and Vivek Kaul.)
16. The Seen and the Unseen episodes on Demonetisation and GST.
17. Most of Amit Varma’s writing on DeMon, collected in one Twitter thread.
18. Understanding Indian Healthcare -- Episode 225 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Karthik Muralidharan).
19. Women at Work -- Episode 132 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Namita Bhandare).
20. Past episodes of The Seen and the Unseen on Covid-19, featuring (in reverse chronological order) Ashwin Mahesh, Gautam Menon, Ajay Shah, Anirban Mahapatra, Ruben Mascarenhas, Chinmay Tumbe, Rukmini S, Vaidehi Tandel, Vivek Kaul, Anup Malani and Shruti Rajagopalan.
21. India’s Problem is Poverty, Not Inequality -- Amit Varma.
22. Anup Malani on India’s COVID Second Wave — Episode 13 of Season 5 of Grand Tamasha, hosted by Milan Vaishnav.
23. Seeing Like a State -- James C Scott.
24. Milton Friedman and PJ O'Rourke on Amazon.
Please subscribe to The India Uncut Newsletter. It’s free!
And check out Amit’s online course, The Art of Clear Writing.
Back in the 19th century, women were supposed to stay home and learn cooking and needlework -- but some dared to fight the odds and get an education. Some even became doctors. Kavitha Rao joins Amit Varma in episode 235 of The Seen and the Unseen to discuss her new book on six pioneering lady...
What exactly is going on between India and China? When cooperation would lead to a win-win game, why is there conflict? Kanti Bajpai joins Amit Varma in episode 234 of The Seen and the Unseen to share his Four Ps framework for understanding this conflict. Also discussed: academia, public...
Public policy may seem like a dull subject fit only for wonks, but it matters: our lives are deeply affected by what our governments do. Pranay Kotasthane joins Amit Varma in episode 233 of The Seen and the Unseen to chat about his intellectual journey, his private beach and why public policy can...