EYL #266 Kyrie Irving's Agent Shetellia Irving on Him Leaving Nike, Taking Social Stances, & Media Sabotage
🏀 Welcome to an exclusive episode of Earn Your Leisure, where we delve deep into the fascinating world of NBA contracts and the art of negotiation with none other than Shetellia Riley Irving, the trailblazing agent of Kyrie Irving.
🌟 In this episode, Shetellia shares her insights on various aspects of sports management, including:
- The unique additions that can be made to an NBA contract.
- How missing out on the All-NBA Team cost Ja Morant $42 million, and Lou Williams’ $100 million loss for not making the All-Star team.
- The importance of standing up for your beliefs, as exemplified by Kyrie Irving during times of adversity.
- The strategic reasons behind Kyrie Irving's decisions regarding his shoe brand post-Nike and his partnership with ANTA.
- The significant role of media in shaping society's mindset, and its impact on athletes like Kyrie Irving.
- The challenges athletes face when taking a stand on societal issues.
- Shetellia's experience in advertising sales for BET and her expert approach to negotiating with large corporations.
- The journey and challenges she faced as the first black woman to negotiate an NBA contract.
- The dynamics of doing business in the NBA as a black woman.
- Exploring opportunities in China and breaking down stereotypes.
- The stress and art involved in negotiating her first NBA contract, balancing team success and player benefits.
🎥 Tune in on Tuesday at 1 pm EST for this must-watch episode on our YouTube channel. Discover how Shetellia Riley Irving made history in the NBA and the lessons we can all learn from her experiences.
#EarnYourLeisure #ShetelliaRileyIrving #KyrieIrving #NBANegotiations #SportsManagement #EYL
🔔 Don't forget to subscribe and hit the bell icon for notifications on our latest episodes! Follow us on our socials for more exclusive content.
2:23 Invest Fest Experience
3:06 Experience as Vice President at BET
4:24 How Shetellia Learned Media Sales
8:07 The Keys to Negotiating with Companies
9:36 Transition from BET to Sports Media
11:12 How Shetellia Started Working with Kyrie
13:30 Kyrie Vaccine Decision
15:53 How Much Money Kyrie Lost Due to not Playing
17:30 How Shetellia Dealt with Kyrie’s Hectic Situation
20:42 Conversations with the Nets
22:35 Nike Partnership Fiasco
26:49 Potentially Starting Kyrie’s own Shoe Company
29:50 Finding New Shoe Deal
31:33 Current Creative Process for Designing Shoes
32:55 Gameplan for Finding a New Team to Play For
35:21 Making Kyrie’s Shoe Global
38:16 Dealing with Pressure as an Agent
39:50 Conversation with Mark Cuban
41:24 Negotiating Kyrie’s Contract
43:28 Ja Morant Suspension Affecting his Contract
46:08 Considering other Players Contracts when Negotiating
47:18 Recruiting other Athletes as an Agent
48:41 Ideal Client
53:14 Kyrie’s Image Outside of just Sports
56:40 Was Vaccine Choice a Stance?
59:17 Why Media Creates Controversy
1:03:03 Dismissing Confusion in Media
1:04:32 Conversations as an Agent VS a Parent
1:05:21 Working in a Male Dominated Industry
1:07:03 Investment Levels
1:07:53 Protecting Kyrie’s Image
1:08:18 Vision for Shetellia’s Company
1:10:02 Philanthropy Work
* Check out Hinge: https://hinge.co/
* Check out Kajabi and use my code EARN for a great deal: https://kajabi.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy
In this episode, special guest Rick Wade, Vice President for Strategic Alliances and Outreach at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, shares valuable insights on the importance of leveraging the Chamber of Commerce for business success. The discussion revolves around the inboarding process for...
In this episode, our hosts Rashad Bilal, Troy Millings, and Ian Dunlap sit down with Rick Wade, a former member of Obama's team and currently with the Chamber of Commerce, to discuss the state of black businesses in America and the potential for business growth in Africa. The conversation delves...