Roger and DJ share some of the history behind data science as we know it today, and reflect on their experiences working on California's COVID-19 response.
Roger Magoulas is Senior Director of Data Strategy at Astronomer, where he works on data infrastructure, analytics, and community development. Previously, he was VP of Research at O'Reilly and co-chair of O'Reilly's Strata Data and AI Conference.
DJ Patil is a board member and former CTO of Devoted Health, a healthcare company for seniors. He was also Chief Data Scientist under the Obama administration and the Head of Data Science at LinkedIn.
Roger and DJ recently volunteered for the California COVID-19 response, and worked with data to understand case counts, bed capacities and the impact of intervention.
Connect with Roger and DJ:
📍 Roger's Twitter: https://twitter.com/rogerm
📍 DJ's Twitter: https://twitter.com/dpatil
🌟 Transcript: http://wandb.me/gd-roger-and-dj 🌟
0:00 Sneak peek, intro
1:03 Coining the terms "big data" and "data scientist"
7:12 The rise of data science teams
15:28 Big Data, Hadoop, and Spark
23:10 The importance of using the right tools
29:20 BLUF: Bottom Line Up Front
34:44 California's COVID response
41:21 The human aspects of responding to COVID
48:33 Reflecting on the impact of COVID interventions
57:06 Advice on doing meaningful data science work
1. "MapReduce: Simplified Data Processing on Large Clusters" (Dean and Ghemawat, 2004): https://research.google/pubs/pub62/
2. "Big Data: Technologies and Techniques for Large-Scale Data" (Magoulas and Lorica, 2009): https://academics.uccs.edu/~ooluwada/courses/datamining/ExtraReading/BigData
3. The O'RLY book covers: https://www.businessinsider.com/these-hilarious-memes-perfectly-capture-what-its-like-to-work-in-tech-2016-4
4. "The Premonition" (Lewis, 2021): https://www.npr.org/2021/05/03/991570372/michael-lewis-the-premonition-is-a-sweeping-indictment-of-the-cdc
5. Why California's beaches are glowing with bioluminescence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVYSr19ReOs
7. Sturgis Motorcyle Rally: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgis_Motorcycle_Rally
Get our podcast on these platforms:
👉 Apple Podcasts: http://wandb.me/apple-podcasts
👉 Spotify: http://wandb.me/spotify
👉 Google Podcasts: http://wandb.me/google-podcasts
👉 YouTube: http://wandb.me/youtube
👉 Soundcloud: http://wandb.me/soundcloud
Join our community of ML practitioners where we host AMAs, share interesting projects and meet other people working in Deep Learning:
Check out Fully Connected, which features curated machine learning reports by researchers exploring deep learning techniques, Kagglers showcasing winning models, industry leaders sharing best practices, and more:
In this episode, Emily and Lukas dive into the problems with bigger and bigger language models, the difference between form and meaning, the limits of benchmarks, and why it's important to name the languages we study.
Show notes (links to papers and transcript):...
Jeff talks about building Facebook's early data team, founding Cloudera, and transitioning into biomedicine with Hammer Lab and Related Sciences.
Josh explains how astronomy and machine learning have informed each other, their current limitations, and where their intersection goes from here.
Josh is a Professor of Astronomy and Chair of the Astronomy Department at UC Berkeley. His research interests include the intersection of...