Becoming... VP at Disney Television Animation of Current Series & Diversity Jay Francis
Jay Francis is the Vice President of Current Series and Diversity and Inclusion at Disney Television Animation. He has over 15 years’ experience in managing the creative direction of series’ production, and has worked on award winning shows including Phineas and Ferb, Big City Greens, and Amphibia. Jay plays an important role in driving the push for more authentic storytelling that represents the world in which we live.
In this episode we talk about:
• The key to a great pitch
• Transitioning from independent animation production to recruitment for primetime animation television
• How accessible a career in animation can be
• Working for Disney and how the company has embraced Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in development
• His first internship at a local ABC affiliate in Boston
• His first animation internship at DIC Entertainment
• Leaving his job to launch Little Gangster Entertainment
• Animation networking opportunities for VO Actors, Animators and more
• Finding a lucrative kickstart creating video games using what he learned from animation
• The importance of diverse and authentic storytelling through animation
Instagram: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneMiller
Twitter: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneM
Mentors on the Mic Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mentorsonthemic
Andrew Calof is the President of Production and Development of Wayfarer Studios, an independent financial and production engine pioneering purpose driven, multi-platform film and television productions that elevate and speak to the human spirit. Prior to joining Wayfarer Studios, Calof served as...
ROB BURNETT is the writer/director of the feature film The Fundamentals of Caring, which was the closing night film at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. He is as a five-time Emmy Award-winning executive producer and head writer of The Late Show with David Letterman. In the course of his career he...
Marta Kauffman is an Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning television writer, producer, and showrunner behind the hit series Friends and Grace & Frankie. After graduating from Brandeis University, Kauffman got her big break alongside David Crane when their pilots Dream On (1990) and The Powers That...