Becoming... Producer of South by Southwest Critic's Pick and Director Winter Dunn
Winter Dunn, the CEO of Winter Dunn Productions (WDP) a full-service multimedia production house based in Los Angeles, is a powerhouse director, producer, actor and 2021 Project Involve Directing Fellow for Film Independent. Winter is a Fordham University grad who worked tirelessly to become a freelance producer and director at Conde Nast. Her celebrity video features for Vanity Fair, Vogue, Architectural Digest, GQ, Allure and other media brands have garnered over 60 million views and counting. Notably, she was a producer for the SXSW Critic's Pick Jezebel which is now streaming on Netflix. Ava Duvernay's distribution company ARRAY acquired the film in January 2020 and released it on Netflix.
Most recently, Dunn directed season one of SoulPancake, Overbrook and 206 Productions’ upcoming docuseries, “All Her with Angela Rye'' for Quibi.
Check out Winter Dunn Productions’ debut film, JUNEBUG, which premiered at the 2020 American Black Film Festival, streaming on FoxSoul and Tubi.
She is a 2021 Project Involve Directing Fellow with Film Independent.
In this episode we talk about:
• Landing her first PA gig for a Black independent production company
• The making of Jezebel from concept and production, to post and delivery
• Manifesting Netflix and SXSW for Jezebel, including what it was like when Ava Duvernay's distribution company ARRAY acquired the film in January 2020 and released it on Netflix.
• Going to SXSW and how the Jezebel team set themselves apart to sold out theaters
• Learning how to be a producer
• Working at Conde Nast and understanding how to execute specific brand voices (including her work with Kim and Kanye (Architectural Digest), Billie Eillish (Vanity Fair's: Same Interview, The Third Year), and more.
• How creating web series content evolved into creating longer form series and features
• Authentic portrayals of POC and the importance of telling Black stories by Black voices
• Her thoughts on being a Directing Fellow with Film Independent
Instagram: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneMiller
Twitter: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneM
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mentorsonthemic
Andrew Calof is the President of Production and Development of Wayfarer Studios, an independent financial and production engine pioneering purpose driven, multi-platform film and television productions that elevate and speak to the human spirit. Prior to joining Wayfarer Studios, Calof served as...
ROB BURNETT is the writer/director of the feature film The Fundamentals of Caring, which was the closing night film at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. He is as a five-time Emmy Award-winning executive producer and head writer of The Late Show with David Letterman. In the course of his career he...
Marta Kauffman is an Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning television writer, producer, and showrunner behind the hit series Friends and Grace & Frankie. After graduating from Brandeis University, Kauffman got her big break alongside David Crane when their pilots Dream On (1990) and The Powers That...