Becoming... Television Writer and Award-Winning Filmmaker Felicia Pride
Felicia Pride is a writer and an award-winning filmmaker. She was a writer on Ava DuVernay’s “Queen Sugar” for two seasons and is currently a writer on ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy.” She developed a drama pilot, a book adaptation, with NBCUniversal and sold a pilot to 20th Century FOX. She sold the erotic romance Deeper to Universal Pictures and is the co-writer and executive producer of the 2020 feature film Really Love, starring Kofi Siriboe alongside Naturi Naughton and Emmy-winner Uzo Aduba. More recently, Felicia is known for her directorial debut, tender. In 2020, tender screened at over 20+ film festivals including Reel Sistas, ABFF, Urbanworld, Frameline44, and the Seattle Black Film Festival where Pride won Best Director and won a Lionsgate / STARZ award at the BlackStar Film Festival.
Pride eventually became an author herself in 2008, penning six books, including the young adult novel, PATTERSON HEIGHTS, recognized by the American Library Association. She was tapped by Simon & Schuster to pen two books in their EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS book series based on the hit show.
In this episode, we talk about:
• Working on my favorite show "Grey's Anatomy" after working on 2 seasons of "Queen Sugar," including how she started working on both and the transition from one to the other
• Her thoughts on Fellowships and being a Screenwriting Fellow for Film Independent and an NBC Writer on the Verge with NBC Universal Media
• Her directorial debut tender which screened at over 20+ film festivals and how she approached that particular film
• Tips to maximize a film's release regarding the marketing, engagement and distribution of your Indie film that she learned as Director of Independent Films at Tugg Inc.
• What Transmedia Storytelling is and how it has influenced her storytelling today
• Writing for VIBE, The Root, Baltimore Sun, and other publications and then becoming a published author in 2008 with 6 books including the YA Novel “Patterson Heights” while working series of jobs as Production Coordinator, Writer, and Producer at various places including Washington Jewish Film Festival, Participant Media, and Twin Cities Public Television.
Wikipedia Website Twitter IMDB Instagram tender
Instagram: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneMiller
Twitter: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneM
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mentorsonthemic
Andrew Calof is the President of Production and Development of Wayfarer Studios, an independent financial and production engine pioneering purpose driven, multi-platform film and television productions that elevate and speak to the human spirit. Prior to joining Wayfarer Studios, Calof served as...
ROB BURNETT is the writer/director of the feature film The Fundamentals of Caring, which was the closing night film at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. He is as a five-time Emmy Award-winning executive producer and head writer of The Late Show with David Letterman. In the course of his career he...
Marta Kauffman is an Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning television writer, producer, and showrunner behind the hit series Friends and Grace & Frankie. After graduating from Brandeis University, Kauffman got her big break alongside David Crane when their pilots Dream On (1990) and The Powers That...