Becoming... Creative Director at Netflix's Strong Black Lead Kara Barnett
Kara Barnett is currently the Creative Director of Strong Black Lead at Netflix (Editorial & Publishing). She is a TEDx Talk speaker, a former Senior Producer and Writer of Branded Content at BET, and has over 10+ years in unscripted casting, development, brand/product integration, editing and more. She had her start as a Casting Associate Producer on America’s Next Top Model, before working different reality shows on Discovery, ITV, CBS, Viacom, OWN, A&E, and BET.
In this episode, we talk about:
• How she got her first job working for ANTM and why she calls the show "LA High School"
• Her TEDx Talk on Imposter Syndrome including tips on how to combat it
• Best tips and trick in navigating life of a freelance producer, working at Networks like BET, AMC, Discovery, ITV, CBS, Viacom, OWN, A&E
• Tips for navigating promotions and salary negotiations
• The hierarchy of unscripted production, specifically the difference between Story Producer, Field Producer and Senior Story Producer
• The stability of her job at BET Digital as a Lead Editorial Producer and moving up to Senior Producer after only a few months, complete with backstage access, creating original content, and BET ON BLACK initiative
• How she had to say no to multiple jobs before getting the right one at BET and who took a chance on her
• Working on I’ll apologize Later weekly visual podcast with Mouse Jones at BET
• How it is to be a Creative Manager at Netflix and the purpose of the Strong Black Lead sub brand
• Working on independent projects such as Exposed: Vashtie Kola, and most recently, a documentary called High Risk, which explores the physical and emotional challenges that Black people face in the United States related to childbirth and racial bias
LinkedIn Instagram IMDB
High Risk Instagram
Trailer for EXPOSED: Vashtie Kola
Instagram: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneMiller
Twitter: @MentorsontheMic @MichelleSimoneM
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mentorsonthemic
Andrew Calof is the President of Production and Development of Wayfarer Studios, an independent financial and production engine pioneering purpose driven, multi-platform film and television productions that elevate and speak to the human spirit. Prior to joining Wayfarer Studios, Calof served as...
ROB BURNETT is the writer/director of the feature film The Fundamentals of Caring, which was the closing night film at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. He is as a five-time Emmy Award-winning executive producer and head writer of The Late Show with David Letterman. In the course of his career he...
Marta Kauffman is an Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning television writer, producer, and showrunner behind the hit series Friends and Grace & Frankie. After graduating from Brandeis University, Kauffman got her big break alongside David Crane when their pilots Dream On (1990) and The Powers That...