Erik is joined on this episode by Mike Maples (@m2jr) of Floodgate.
The talk about:
- The difference between fake growth and real growth, and how to know which one your company is experiencing.
- Why fake growth has taken hold in so many companies in the Valley, and its broader systemic causes.
- The difference between value hacking and growth hacking.
- Why once you’ve entered the growth stage, it’s next to impossible to go back to the value hacking stage.
- His thoughts on the Thiel vs. Rabois schools of markets.
- His tips for growing SaaS companies.
- How to think about incumbents.
- Why a pivot is not the same thing as a mulligan.
- The reasons for the fact that, in his opinion, there is too much money in VC.
- Why companies are staying private longer.
Thanks for listening — if you like what you hear, please review us on your favorite podcast platform.
Check us out on the web at villageglobal.vc or get in touch with us on Twitter @villageglobal.
Venture Stories is brought to you by Village Global and is hosted by co-founder and partner, Erik Torenberg. Grace Chen is our audio engineer and the show is produced by Brett Bolkowy.
Robert Wright (@robertwrighter), author of Nonzero, The Moral Animal, Why Buddhism Is True, and others, joins Erik on this episode.
- The common theme of exploring the meaning of life that Robert says runs through all of his books.
- Whether global governance could be feasible...
Erik is joined on this episode by Glen Weyl (@glenweyl), founder of RadicalxChange and co-author of Radical Markets, and Tomer Kagan (@Gradish), co-founder and CEO of Merit.
- What they’re working on in the space and how it will change how identity works in the future
- How to...
Erik is joined on this episode by Trae Vassallo (@trae) of Defy and Lee Edwards (@terronk) of Root Ventures.
They talk about:
- How their backgrounds and unique experiences have informed their perspectives on investing
- Whether venture capital should go back to funding technical risk