Erik is joined on this episode by Mike Maples (@m2jr) of Floodgate.
The talk about:
- The difference between fake growth and real growth, and how to know which one your company is experiencing.
- Why fake growth has taken hold in so many companies in the Valley, and its broader systemic causes.
- The difference between value hacking and growth hacking.
- Why once you’ve entered the growth stage, it’s next to impossible to go back to the value hacking stage.
- His thoughts on the Thiel vs. Rabois schools of markets.
- His tips for growing SaaS companies.
- How to think about incumbents.
- Why a pivot is not the same thing as a mulligan.
- The reasons for the fact that, in his opinion, there is too much money in VC.
- Why companies are staying private longer.
Thanks for listening — if you like what you hear, please review us on your favorite podcast platform.
Check us out on the web at villageglobal.vc or get in touch with us on Twitter @villageglobal.
Venture Stories is brought to you by Village Global and is hosted by co-founder and partner, Erik Torenberg. Grace Chen is our audio engineer and the show is produced by Brett Bolkowy.
Greg Castle (@gpcastle12) joins Erik on this episode. He is managing partner at Anorak Ventures.
- What the future of computing beyond laptops and phones will look like, the obstacles companies will face, and the cultural challenges ahead.
- Why audio will represent the first...
Adam Draper (@AdamDraper), founder and managing director of Boost VC, joins Erik on this episode.
- Adam’s early involvement in crypto and how the space has evolved over time.
- What he finds unique about the people working in crypto and what he loves about their outlook.
Kelly Chen (@kaychen22), partner at DCVC, and Kane Hsieh (@kane), partner at Root Ventures, join Erik on this episode.
They talk about:
- What exactly industrial automation is and why it’s such an exciting space.
- The market map for industrial automation.
- Some of the coolest companies and...